Flower Headband for Dolls – Tutorial
Things have been super busy around here. This week I am off to the EE Schenck Trends Trade Show in Portland, where I will be doing demonstrations, doing a book signing, and teaching a Make-n-Take project. Here’s what I came up with for the Make-n-Take: A cute fabric flower headband for dolls! The free sewing tutorial to follow 🙂
The thought behind this project is quilt shops can host their own free activity on a Saturday afternoon to help promote their kids’ sewing classes. The project can be sewn entirely by hand and is designed for kids to do all by themselves.
Supplies for each doll headband:
- Kraft-Tex* – 1/2″ wide X 9 1/2″ long
- 1/4″ wide elastic – 3″ long
- Fabric – 1 1/2″ wide X 6″ long
- Small button (1)
- Needle and thread
*Ribbon may be substituted for Kraft-Tex
Pre-washing the Kraft-Tex makes hand sewing on it a little easier to do. To make the hand sewing even easier for young children, prep the Kraft-Tex by using a mini hole punch to punch “sewing” holes in the Kraft-Tex. Punch 4 holes (1/16″ diameter) on the ends where the elastic will be sewn and punch 4-5 holes where the fabric flower and button will be sewn.
Make the Flower
1. Fold fabric in half to form a loop, with right sides together. Sew the short ends right sides together with 1/4″ seam allowance.
2. Fold the fabric loop wrong sides together and sew a single running stitch through both layers of fabric, 1/4″ from the raw edges. Leave a long thread tail at the beginning of the running stitches.
3. Pull on both ends of the thread until the loop cinches closed into a disc, with the folded edge on the outside and the gathered raw edges in the center.
4. Tie the thread ends together into a knot.
Sew the Flower to the Headband
- Sew the fabric flower to the headband.
- Once the flower is basted in place, sew a button to the center of the fabric flower.
- Sew the elastic to the ends of the Kraft-Tex to finish the headband.
What a fun birthday party craft activity this would make!
The AG Doll is wearing an Ella Dress and can be found here