Mini Tree Skirt for 18 inch Dolls -a Too Cute sew along
Have you seen this awesome doll designs newsletter, Too Cute? It’s so fun to get my copy in the mail each quarter. It’s filled with articles about sewing doll clothes and selling doll clothes at craft fairs and online, and always includes several great patterns for doll projects, all designed for the 18 inch dolls. I was so excited to collaborate with the magazine’s editor, Margie, for their holiday issue.
Here is my submission to the 2015 Winter issue : an adorable doll size tree skirt for your doll’s Christmas tree.
This project is so fun and easy to do. It would be great for beginners and kids to make for their 18 inch dolls. Since there’s no photos or images included with the instructions, I thought I would do a little sew along! Gather the supplies listed in on the project page of Too Cute- Doll Designs Newsletter and let’s sew!
1. Trace the pattern piece from your copy of Too Cute onto tracing fabric to make a template.
2. Use the template to cut out 8 solid white fabric pieces and 8 pieces of another fabric for the reverse side.
1. Sew all the white fabric pieces together along the notched edges, with right sides together. Remember to not sew the last 2 together into a complete circle. This side will be the back opening.
2. Repeat Step 1 for the patterned fabric pieces. And press all the seam allowances.
Design it! Now it’s time to think about how to embellish it. There are so many cute possibilities– Let your creativity guide you!
3. Sew the trims onto the right side of the solid colored fabric, at least 3/4″ from the bottom edge. It works best to sew bulky embellishments, such as buttons, ribbon bows, or rosettes on after steps 4-7.
4. Pin and sew the white side to the printed fabric side of the tree skirt along the top edge and the bottom edge, with right sides together, leaving both of the center opening edges unsewn for turning.
5. Clip the curves along the top edge, turn it right side out, and press.
6. Press the raw edges of the center back openings 1/4″ toward the inside.
Add the ties!
7. Cut 4 pieces of ribbon, each 8″ long. Place the ribbons inside the back openings and sew the openings closed, securing the ribbons in place at the same time.
8. Sew buttons or other embellishments, such as rosettes, fabric yo-yo’s, or ribbon bows, to the tree skirt.
9. Stand back and admire your beautiful creation! And be sure to share your projects with us! on our Facebook page or on Instagram tag me @AveryLaneSewing !
My oldest daughter fell in love with this tree skirt and asked if she could have it to help her to decorate her apartment for the holidays. They don’t have enough space for a traditional tree, so she’s decorating a mini tree that will sit on a table top.
Don’t miss out on a single issue–there are always so many cute patterns included in each issue! You can order your subscription here on etsy, through Margie’s Etsy shop, Too Cute Doll Designs. Or order individual issues such as the Winter issue, in which this tree skirt project is included.
Thanks for sewing along and happy sewing!